Perhaps, because of the degree of ever – expanding, polarization, in this nation, especially, during the past – four years (as well as decade), various individuals, with differing political views, etc, seem to perceive things, significantly, differently, from those, with different perspectives. While, this, in – and – of – itself, is not dangerous/ crucial, it creates a significant obstacle, in terms of trying to achieve any meeting – of – the – minds, for the greater good, and/ or, any willingness to look at things, from the perspectives, of others! It often seems, even, the most obvious things, are perceived, much differently! Why are we witnessing, so much difference, in the perceptions of our citizens? With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 areas, where this is significant, and meaningful.
1. Political leaders/ representatives: What concerns me, is, if, what, President Trump, did, said, and encouraged, as well as the amount of hatred and anger, he enabled, are not impeachable events/ behaviors, what is? We keep, witnessing, even, after the dangerous behavior, of the mob, which seized, the Capitol, a continuation of partisan, political behavior, where our representatives, seem, to continue to put their personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest, ahead of the greater good, and best – interests of this nation, in the short, and longer – term! If they won’t hold him, responsible, the risk and fear of being impeached, will have little impact, on future leaders! Also, why would so many, seem to believe the unfounded statements, conspiracy theories, and belief, the man, who lost he popular vote, by over seven million votes, and the Electoral College, by a significant margin. was the actual winner?
2. Constitution/ Constitutional guarantees: Isn’t it strange/ interesting, many of the same people, who demand their so – called, 2nd Amendment rights (to bear arms), believe, the 1st Amendment, is less – important, unless it personally, affects them? How can so many, state, wearing a mask, for the greater good, public health, safety, etc, is a violation of their rights, and it’s okay, for them, to demonstrate, etc, but, not, for those, they disagree with?
3. Racial/ ethnic attitudes: The number, and, often, the severity, of racial, and ethnic, hate – crimes, seems to gave grown, significantly, in the past several years! Groups, such as Neo – Nazis, White Supremacists, and others, who seem to prioritize, hating/ fearing others, who disagree (or, are different)! These individuals appear to have been enabled, and developed a sense of entitlement, largely, due to the rhetoric and vitriol, of the occupant of the White House, these past four years!
4. Environment/ Climate: How, after, so much evidence, and scientific findings, stating, the inevitability of Climate Change, if we don’t address it, sooner, rather than later, do some, continue denying it, and/ or, equating it, to economic issues, etc? After, decades, of bipartisan efforts, to enhance the environment, especially, in the areas of Clean Air, and Water, the immediate, past President, sought, to reduce regulations, and, set – back, many of these efforts! Regardless of one’s political agenda, the need and obligation, to preserve this planet, for future generations, must be considered, everyone’s duty/ responsibility!
5. Public Health: Shouldn’t public health, be, a core value, which our representatives, consider the highest priority? During this horrific pandemic, the refusal of the President, to set the right example, by, wearing (and encouraging others) a mask, and making statements, denying, the dangers, was probably dangerous! He stated, the need to address economic concerns, and reopen the economy, although, most of the rest of the world, followed the scientific advice.
These are just, a few of the examples, where, there are significantly, different, and opposing perceptions! Wake up, America, and demand better, and more!